Monday, October 1, 2012

And The Winners Are



Congratulations to three outstanding Economist Educators who placed in the first annual Economist Educators Best in Class Teaching Award.
   There were about 30 submissions.
   The public voted on their favorites
   The top 5 vote getteing submissions went before a panel of Economist Educators who voted for first, second and third place. The winners, with links to their videos are:



First Place,           Alan Grant, Baker University
$2,000 prize, $2,000 to his department and a trip to the 8th Annual Economics Teaching Conference to present his submission.
Second Place,      Fadhel Kaboub, Denison University
$1,000 and a trip to the teaching conference to present
Third Place,          Becca Arnold, San Diego Mesa College
$500 and a copy of the International Handbook for Teaching and Learning Economics by KimMarie McGoldrick and Gail Hoyt.

I asked Alan Grant a couple of questions when I spoke to him last week. I found his thoughts on what led him to become an economist educator and how he views his current students to be very inspiring.
We will be talking more with Alan and the other winners and submitters more extensively in the weeks and months to come, so stay tuned!

What made you become an economics instructor? 
I was inspired by another outstanding economist educator, Lloyd Thomas, who was one of my undergraduate professors. His Money and Banking course was a work of brilliance and passion, and an inspiration to me. Dr. Thomas got me excited about the discipline, and made me realize that there is a genuine art to making complex ideas accessible. Later, as a graduate student, I found out for myself both how hard and how rewarding teaching can be. I've been hooked ever since. 
 What is the best thing about being an instructor? 
Without a doubt, the best thing about being an instructor is having co-workers who will always be 18 to 24 years old! They have an energy that I wish I could capture for myself. I love watching young people grow and mature as students, and it's even more fun to watch as they leave college and carve out a place for themselves in society. They're imaginative and brave and daring in ways that I'm not, which makes it both fun and a privilege to share such an important part of their lives with them.

Congratulations again to these three economist educators. Keep those great ideas coming!
Make sure you are following us on Facebook
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment